How to use Chat in Sky Yahoo Mail
Chat within Sky Yahoo Mail is a browser-based chat/instant messaging feature which is integrated with Sky Yahoo Mail on the web. You can access Chat by signing into Sky Yahoo Mail.
Start a conversation with one of your contacts
- Sign in to Sky Yahoo Mail.
- Click the Inbox tab. There is a lightning bolt icon next to the heading Messenger. If it is grey, click it to turn it yellow. When it’s yellow, Sky Yahoo Mail is ready to start a chat
- Click the small triangle next to Compose.
- Select Instant Message.
- Type the name of a contact.
- Start typing your chat. If your contact is online, wait for the response. If your contact is offline, they’ll get your message after they sign in and start chatting.
Please note: You can chat with contacts using Sky Yahoo Mail or Yahoo Mail. It's not possible to send an instant message to any of your contacts who use other email providers like @gmail.com, @hotmail.com etc.
Blocking someone from chatting with you
There are two ways to block a user from sending you instant messages. Please note that if the user is on your Contacts list, you must delete the user from that list first.
Block the contact from chat directly in the Chat window
In a chat window, click the Block Sender button towards the top of the conversation window to block the sender from contacting you. This option will not appear if the person is a contact in your Contacts list.
Block the contact from chat using the Messenger Options menu
- From within Sky Yahoo Mail, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the window and select Messenger Options.
- From the categories, select Privacy.
- Under "Block users in the Block list below...," select Add.
- Enter the ID of the person you would like to block. This option will not work if the person is a contact in your Contacts list.
- Select OK and then select OK again.
Note: If the person you are trying to block is on your Contacts list, you must remove them from your Contacts list first.
How to remove a user from your Contacts list
- From within Sky Yahoo Mail select the Contacts tab.
- Find the contact that you want to remove.
- Select their name.
- Select Delete.
- Select Delete again to confirm removal of contact.
How to turn on or turn off Chat in Sky Yahoo Mail
If you don't want Chat running from within Sky Yahoo Mail, you can turn it off by signing out of Chat in Mail.
To sign out, in the left column of your Inbox tab, click the yellow lightning bolt next to Messenger.
To sign back in, click the grey lightning bolt next to Messenger.
Sky Yahoo Mail saves your Chat status when you leave Sky Yahoo Mail. When you return to Sky Yahoo Mail, it resumes the same status. If your last Chat status was "Offline," you will remain offline. You'll remain signed out until you reactivate it.
Please note that it’s not possible to completely remove or uninstall the Chat feature from Sky Yahoo Mail.
Automatically save your Chat conversations
By default, your instant message conversations are saved in the Conversations folder. You can access this folder in the list on the right side of the page, right below the Inbox.
To enable or disable the archiving of instant messages:
- From within Sky Yahoo Mail, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Select Messenger Options.
- In the Messenger Options window, select Other.
- Tick or un-tick the box for "Keep a history of my conversations."
- Select OK to save your changes.