McAfee Internet Security Suite
We've teamed up with McAfee to offer Sky Broadband customers a free trial of McAfee Security - 12 months free Internet Security Suite for up to three PCs with Sky Broadband Unlimited or 3 months free trial with all other Sky Broadband products - and then just £3 per month after the free trial.
How do I download McAfee Internet Security Suite?
If you're a Sky Broadband customer follow the link below to download McAfee Internet Security Suite on a PC.
Having trouble downloading McAfee
There are two ways to sign in to the Sky website to download your McAfee Security for Sky Broadband customers – we need you to sign in so we can recognise you as a Sky Broadband customer and confirm how long your free trial of McAfee Security will be.
Signing in to sky.com also allows you to track and manage your McAfee subscription and download additional copies of McAfee Internet Security Suite for your other computers.
- Sign in to My Sky and download a copy
If you know your sky.com username and password, also known as Sky iD, sign in with these details. If you don’t know your Sky iD, use the alternative sign-in form and enter a few details about your Sky account so we can recognise you.
When you've signed in you'll need to click on the Download Internet Security Suite link.
- Confirm the email address details that we currently hold for your household. You can also choose to change the email address but this will change the email for your Sky household account.
- Tick the box to confirm you have read and accept the McAfee Software Service Terms and Conditions and End User License Agreement.
- Select Activate my McAfee. This will register your McAfee software with Sky and McAfee and start your free trial period.
You'll then be taken to a Download page. To install the McAfee software onto your computer follow the simple instructions that appear on your screen.
I can’t connect to the internet after installing McAfee
If you can’t connect to the internet after installing McAfee Internet Security Suite, the program might be blocking your internet connection. You can often fix this by quickly switching your McAfee Personal Firewall off and back on again.
I can’t use email after installing Personal Firewall Plus
- Right-click the McAfee icon on your screen and select Personal Firewall.
- Select Internet Applications.
- Right-click the name of the email program you use and select Allow Full Access.
I can’t log into Hotmail, online banking or other secure websites after installing McAfee Internet Security Suite.
Your web browsing protection settings may be preventing certain websites from functioning.
You can change these settings by following these simple instructions:
- Open McAfee Security Centre and select Internet & Network.
- Select Configure, then select the Web browsing protection bar.
- Select the Advanced button and deselect all three options.
- Click OK/Apply.
Close the McAfee windows you've opened and try accessing the website again.
Why is Windows Firewall telling me that it blocked some features of a program?
Windows includes a firewall that can block internet traffic in and out of your computer. Many programs need access to the internet, but some malicious software such as viruses may attempt to go online without your knowledge. To prevent this, your firewall asks you if you want to grant or deny permission to any new program that tries to access the internet and tells you the program name and the company which published it, allowing you to decide whether to authorise it or not.
McAfee SpamKiller/Anti-Phishing Filter blocks access to websites I wish to visit
Sometimes your firewall may block access to a website which you know to be legitimate or want to visit. These 'false positives' can be resolved by refreshing the Anti-Phishing Filter Dat File, to do this simply:
- Close your web browser windows and open My Computer.
- Open your hard drive - this is usually drive C and open Program Files.
- Open the McAfee folder and select the SpamKiller folder.
- Right-click the MCAPFBHO.dat file and choose Rename.
- Rename the file to OLD_mcapfbho.OLD.
- Open Internet Explorer and attempt to access the previously blocked website again.
I already have security software, should I uninstall these products?
We do not recommend installing McAfee while you have other firewall or anti-virus software running. You can choose not to install the McAfee security if you already have your own security software.
What happens with my free McAfee trial ends?
At the end of the free trial, if you registered your McAfee software through sky.com your McAfee subscription will automatically continue and you will be charged a monthly subscription fee of £3 on your Sky bill unless you cancel your McAfee subscription before the end of the trial.
Can I install McAfee security software on more than one computer?
You can install McAfee Internet Security or Parental Controls for PCs on up to three separate computers.
How do I manually run a scan?
After installing, McAfee will do a scan every so often without your intervention. We recommend you manually running a scan once a week. All you have to do is:
- Open the SecurityCenter.
- Click the Scan button.
If you want, you can also schedule a QuickClean or Disk Defragmenter.
How do I schedule a QuickClean task?
QuickClean improves your PC’s performance by removing old files that litter your computer’s hard drive. It does this by emptying your Recycle Bin and deletes other unnecessary files including temporary files, shortcuts, browser history files.
You can schedule a QuickClean task to automatically clean your computer using one or more cleaners. When finished, under QuickClean Summary, you can view the date and time when your task is scheduled to run again. All you have to do is go through the following steps:
- Open the Security Centre.
- In the Security Centre, under Common Tasks, select Maintain Computer.
- Open the Task Scheduler pane and select Start.
- In the Select operation to schedule list, choose McAfee QuickClean.
- Type a name for your task in the Task name box, and then click Create.
- Now do one of the following:
Select Next to accept the cleaners in the list.
Select or clear the appropriate cleaners, and then click Next.
Select Restore Defaults to restore the default cleaners, and then select Next.
- Then select one of the following:
No, I want to delete files using standard Windows deletion and then select Schedule to accept the default (this option allows you to retrieve deleted files even after you empty your PC’s recycle bin); or
Yes, I want to securely erase my files using Shredder and then select Schedule. This option allows you to securely and permanently delete files. Files erased using this option can’t be recovered.
- In the Schedule dialog box, select the frequency of task to run and select OK.
- If you made changes to the Recently Used Cleaner properties, you may be prompted to restart your computer. Click OK to close the prompt. Now select Finish.
How do I schedule a Disk Defragmenter task?
You can choose the frequency of when your computer's hard drive is automatically defragged and when finished you can view the date and time of the next one. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Open the Security Centre.
- In the Security Centre under Common Tasks select Maintain Computer.
- Open the Task Scheduler pane under Task Scheduler, select Start.
- In the Select operation to schedule list, select Disk Defragmenter.
- Type a name for your task in the Task name box, and select Create.
- Do one of the following:
a. Click Schedule to accept the default Perform defrag even if the free space is low option.
b. Clear the Perform defrag even if the free space is low option, and then select Schedule.
- In the Schedule dialog box, select frequency of task to run, and select OK and then Finish.
How do I manage my McAfee Security Subscription?
The best way to access and manage your McAfee Security subscription depends on when you first started using the product. Please choose from the two options below.
If you registered your McAfee Security product through sky.com (on or after 16th July 2009)
Sign into sky.com/mysky to manage your McAfee Security product. From the McAfee Security page in My Sky you can:
- Change your McAfee security product (from Parental Controls only to the full Internet Security Suite and vice versa)
- Download additional copies of your McAfee Internet Security software onto additional computers. McAfee Security Suite has a three user license meaning the software can be installed on up to three PCs in total.
- Check what date your free trial of McAfee Internet Security Suite will expire
- Cancel your McAfee Internet Security Suite subscription - select 'Manage My McAfee Subscription' from the main McAfee page and then choose 'Cancel'. Once you have cancelled your subscription, you will no longer receive virus updates and your computer will not be fully protected. However, not that it may take up to 48 hours for this cancellation to take effect.
- You can also view McAfee subscription charges on your Sky bill through the 'View Bill' section in My Sky.
If you registered your McAfee Security product through McAfee (before 16th July 2009)
Sign in to the McAfee website with the email address and password you used to register your McAfee software initially.
I think my computer has a virus, what do I do?
If your computer shows any of the symptoms listed below then a virus or other potentially harmful program could be the cause.
- Has the home page of your web browser changed?
- Is there a new toolbar on your web browser that you didn’t install?
- Do new web browser windows or tabs open automatically?
- Do adverts keeping popping up on your screen?
- Is your computer running very slowly?
- Is it shutting down and restarting unexpectedly?
- Are you having trouble running your usual programs?
- Do you keep getting error messages?
You should be especially suspicious if the problem first started after you:
- Opened an email from an unknown sender,
- Downloaded a new piece of free software,
- Used a USB flash drive or other disk to open files from another computer, or
- Visited a website that was not what you thought it would be.
A good first step is to scan your computer using McAfee Internet Security Suite or equivalent software to see if a virus or other security threat could be making your computer behave strangely. If you do have a virus your antivirus software should find it and will tell you how to delete it from your computer.
To run a virus scan with McAfee Internet Security Suite:
- Right-click the McAfee icon in the bottom bar of your computer or on your desktop.
- Select Scan then click Scan Now.
- When the scan is finished the screen will say View Results if any suspicious files have been found.
- Click View Results for instructions on how to get rid of these files.
- Click Finish.
What can I do if I've forgotten my McAfee Privacy Service Administrator password?
To retrieve your McAfee Privacy Service Administrator password, try answering your security question:
- Open the McAfee Security Centre and highlight Privacy Service.
- Select Sign In and then select Forgot your Password.
- When prompted, answer the question and select Get Password.
If you don't answer this question correctly, you'll need to reinstall McAfee Privacy Service in Safe Mode to reset the administrator password. To do this:
- Restart your computer.
- While your computer is powering up, press F8 every second, until the Windows Start Up menu appears.
- When you're given the option, start your computer in Safe Mode.
- Select Start or press the Windows key, select Control Panel in the menu.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs from the list of settings.
- Select Change/Remove from displayed list.
- Follow on-screen instructions for uninstallation process.
- Once this is complete, restart your computer and reinstall McAfee Privacy Service.
- Choose a new password that you will remember.
How do I cancel and remove McAfee Internet Security Suite?
If you no longer wish to use McAfee, follow these simple steps below to cancel your subscription.
- Login to My Sky.
- Click My Account.
- Then click My Broadband.
- Click McAfee.
- Select Manage my subscription and follow the onscreen prompts.
Please note that it may take up to 48 hours for this cancellation to take effect, during which time you may be charged for your use.
Cancelling your subscription to McAfee Internet Security Suite will not remove the software from your computer. The recommended way to remove McAfee software from your computer is as follows:
- Select Start then open Control Panel. From here choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Select McAfee Security Centre and Change/Remove and a McAfee uninstall window will appear.
- Select the McAfee programs you wish to remove from the list that appears and select Uninstall.
Don't forget, if at any time you replace your computer, you'll need to remove that computer from your subscription list in My Sky so you'll still have enough allowance to have the McAfee on three separate computers (including your new one).
What is McAfee Site Advisor?
McAfee Site Advisor is a web safety tool that helps you identify websites that are linked to spyware, adware, spam, viruses, browser-based attacks, phishing, or online fraud by adding red, yellow and green icons to your web browser and to search results found on search engines such as Google, Yahoo and MSN. It is included with McAfee Internet Security Suite and automatically installed on your web browser when you install McAfee Internet Security Suite.
How does it work?
The program integrates with search engine results from popular search engines and also adds an icon to the browser toolbar that indicates whether a website is safe to use, or should be used with caution.
Make transactions online safely McAfee Site Advisor's advanced phishing protection uses a combination of database blocking and real-time analysis to help identify scam websites that try to steal your personal information.
What the Safe (green) sign means - We tested the website and didn't find any significant problems..
What the Caution (yellow) sign means - Our tests revealed some minor security or nuisance issues with the website. Also applies to websites which have previously had, directly or through corporate affiliations, past security issues.
What the Dangerous (red) signs means - Our automated test and/or manual analysis revealed some serious issues to consider before using this website at all. E.g. The website sent us lots of spam email, bundled adware with a download, or has a business relationship with a company known for bad past practices.
To see more information about the website, roll your mouse over the McAfee icon in your browser toolbar or on the search results page. You can also visit any website's report page for detailed safety information and read what users have to say.
Register with CD
How do I register McAfee?
If you downloaded and installed McAfee from the CD which comes with your Sky router, you will need to activate your subscription within 14 days. To do this, visit My Sky and follow the instructions on that page. Please note that if you have the Sky Hub, you will need to download your security software (see instructions on this page) as the Sky Hub is not supplied with a set up CD.
When you are up and running on Sky Broadband and have successfully installed McAfee, you will see a pop-up toaster alert like the one below, in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.
You will then need to select Register my products now and then click OK, after which you will be directed to the McAfee activation login page.
After logging in using your Sky iD and accepting the Terms & Conditions, the final step is to click Activate my McAfee to begin your free trial.
If you download and install McAfee from sky.com, your trial will be activated when you log in using your Sky iD.