Fix Sky Go issues
Here is some troubleshooting advice to help you get the best from Sky Go.
Forgotten username or password
If you can't sign in to Sky Go because you've forgotten your username or password, use the following links and then try to sign in again:
Forgotten Sky Go PIN
Your Sky Go PIN is a four-digit number that is not necessarily the same as the four-digit PIN you use to control viewing through your Sky box. Your Sky Go PIN is used to set up restricted viewing preferences and then to access content that has been restricted. If you've forgotten your Sky Go PIN, you can find it by following these steps:
- Sign in to My Sky using your Sky iD and password.
- Go to the Profile & Settings section of the My Sky menu and select My details.
- Go to TV Settings menu.
- Underneath the header Sky Go preferences, you will see a box containing your current PIN.
If you'd like to change your PIN to something more memorable, enter a new four-digit PIN in the box labelled New PIN, then select Update Security PIN. Avoid using your date of birth or any other combination that might be easy for others to guess.
You can also set your parental control preferences from the TV settings menu. You will see the available parental control preferences in the box titled Access level your Parental Control PIN will appear. Select the rating you would like parental controls to be applied to then select Update access level.
Standard troubleshooting advice for Sky Go Desktop
Most issues with Sky Go Desktop can be resolved by following these steps:
- Restart your computer.
- Ensure that your computer's date and time is set correctly.
- Attempt to launch Sky Go Desktop again to see whether the service is working as normal.
If you've signed in to Sky Go Desktop but things still aren't working, you may need to reinstall Sky Go Desktop:
- Launch Sky Go Desktop (you do not need to sign in).
- Right-click anywhere inside the Sky Go Desktop window.
- Click Remove this application.
- Download and reinstall Sky Go Desktop from the Sky Go website.
If this is also unsuccessful, try upgrading to the latest version of the free Microsoft Silverlight plug-in.
Standard troubleshooting advice for using Sky Go through a web browser
Most issues with the Sky Go website can be resolved by following these steps:
- If you are currently signed in to the Sky Go website, sign out.
- Close all web browser windows.
- Restart your computer.
- Open your web browser and go back to the Sky Go website.
- Click Sign in and enter your username and password when prompted.
- Try watching Sky News – available in the Watch live TV section of the Home tab.
Note that the On Demand tab allows you to watch programmes in one of two ways. If you have upgraded to Sky Go Extra, why not try both methods to see which suits you best:
- Directly through the browser – click a programme to see its large preview image and programme synopsis, then click the Play button on the preview image to start watching the programme inside the browser.
- As a download – If you've upgraded to Sky Go Extra, select a programme to see its large preview image and programme synopsis, then click the Download button to add the programme to your Sky Go Desktop download queue. If the Download button is greyed out, you'll need to install Sky Go Desktop. Click the Install/More information link and follow the instructions to download and install Sky Go Desktop.
Can I keep programmes downloaded with Sky Go Extra on my device?
No. Licensing restrictions mean that any programmes you've downloaded are available for a limited period only, and this period will vary from programme to programme. Typically, movies will remain available to view for 30 days after download (or 48 hours after your first play), with other programmes being available for 7 days after download (or 48 hours after your first play).
You can check the expiry date of your downloaded programmes in the My Downloads section of Sky Go Desktop or the Sky Go app. Once a downloaded programme has expired, it will be removed automatically from Sky Go. If the programme is still available through the Sky Go website, you may download it again.
Why does my Sky Go Desktop download stick at 0%?
Programmes are sometimes added to the Sky Go library 24 hours before they have aired on Sky TV. When this happens, attempted downloads will stick at 0%. Waiting 24 hours before retrying should resolve the problem. If your download sticks at 0% even after the programme has aired, there may not be enough space left on your hard drive to successfully download the programme.
Please note, you can only download programmes with Sky Go if you’ve upgraded to Sky Go Extra.
Why is my requested programme not shown in download queue?
If you've just requested to download a programme after upgrading to Sky Go Extra, it may take up to ten minutes to appear in your download queue. You can manually refresh your download queue by selecting Check Queue, which should force your chosen programme to appear.
Can I stream Sky Go content to my TV?
Sky Go does not support output via HDMI/TV Out, so it's not possible to view Sky Go content through your TV or through wireless steaming devices such as Apple TV. Instead of trying to stream Sky Go content to your TV, you can use the On Demand service on your Sky+HD box to download the same content.
How many devices can I use to watch Sky Go?
With Sky Go, you can watch TV on the move on up to two devices (any compatible PC, Mac, laptop, tablet or smartphone – including iPads, iPhones and several Android devices).
You can double the number of devices on which you can use Sky Go by upgrading to Sky Go Extra, allowing you to download programmes to watch offline on up to four devices.
Will Sky Go work on jailbroken (rooted) devices?
No. In keeping with our contractual obligations to ensure content protection, Sky Go is no longer supported on jailbroken devices. This may result in the error message "Unknown error - please restart the app if this error persists, or try again later" after you update your Sky Go software on iOS devices. Jailbreaking is the process of removing the limitations imposed by Apple on devices running iOS, such as the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Using Sky Go on a jailbroken device would put you in danger of exposing your Sky iD and personal information to third parties.
Why are some shows being deleted from my device?
Certain contracts with the rights holders mean we have to delete some shows from your device before they expire. This can happen, for example, if you cancel your subscription, content is withdrawn by the rights holder or when the device has been unregistered.